The Northern Studies Colloquium invites graduate and undergraduate students from all disciplines to share and discuss their research that, broadly defined, is related to “the North”*. The Colloquium is a free, one-day event that seeks to provide a balanced, supportive and casual environment where Trent students may come together to share, discuss, and showcase their diverse work. The event is a unique opportunity to present to your peers and foster a deeper understanding of the North. The Colloquium will take place in the Gathering Space in Gzowski College on March 19, 2019.
Abstracts are now being accepted from all graduate students and undergraduate students for oral and poster presentations. Abstracts are due on Friday, Feb 22nd 2018.
Completed abstract submissions forms and any questions can be sent to email@example.com
Presentations will be organized according to the following themes**:
- Movement and migration
- Safety and security
- Change, response and adaptation
- Knowledge(s), ways of understanding methods
- Management, decision-making and policy
All submissions MUST include:
- Program (including whether it is graduate or undergraduate)
- Abstract (max 300 words incl. background and purpose/objective of the study; methods; [anticipated] results; conclusion/discussion)
- Three keywords
- At least two themes (from the list above)
- Preference for a poster or a 10-minute oral presentation (or both)
* Our definition of “North” is open to participants’ interpretation. Students and presenters often touch on issues pertaining to the Arctic environment and landscape, but also present their work relating to other areas in Canada not included in the political or administrative “North” that we often consider, for example, northern Ontario, north of Winnipeg, etc.
**Please let us know if you have a hard time fitting into one of these categories.
Authors will be informed of the guidelines for their presentation on February 9th. For more information and updates leading up to the Colloquium, check our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org